Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pain in jaw. Getting headache, pain in mouth and multiple blisters inside mouth. Any cure?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10441 Questions
hi a bump has formed right below my jaw near the side of the cheek. There has been growing pain and headache associated with this, and the pain seems to originate from that bump spot. It has been about 3-4 days now and the pain is starting to go away. The pain migrated from jaw pain, to headache, and then to pain in the mouth. The pain has subsided significantly but I noticed that there are multiple blisters growing inside the mouth. There also several bumps growing on my left face and I just noticed today that pus oozes out clear white liquid. All the symptoms are localized to the left side of the face. Nothing happens on the right side of the face.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your description is suggestive of an infection in your oral cavity - most likely a gingivostomatitis. A direct examination by a dentist will help in proper diagnosis.
You need to consult a dentist and get a systemic antibiotic prescribed. Oral debridement may also be needed for proper healing and controlling the infection.
Oral hygiene is of great importance in treating and preventing periodontal disease and you should brush twice daily and floss your teeth.

Also try restricting sugar as it is known to significantly increase plaque accumulation by feeding the bacteria that cause the infection while decreasing white blood cell function. Fresh fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, and fiber should be taken and take plenty of sardines, canned salmon, dark XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (spinach, collards, XXXXXXX turnip greens, mustard mustard greens) broccoli, brazil nuts, tofu and all soy products, sunflower seeds. Also take calcium supplements in diet and change your toothpaste brand.

In addition get tartar removed regularly and use enzymatic agents containing lysozyme, lactoperozidase, glucose oxidase, mutanase, and dextranase. You can also use mouth washes containing chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide. You can get them prescribed from your dentist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in jaw. Getting headache, pain in mouth and multiple blisters inside mouth. Any cure? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX

Perhaps I didn't specify the location of the bump. It's actually on the surface of my cheek and another one growing on the neck. The blisters are forming on the surface of the face on on the left edge of the forehead.

I think this might be the case of shingles since all the symptoms are located on side of the body and the pain seems to migrate from the nerve paths.

What are the common treatments of shingles? Would it recover by itself?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for a detailed description.
The symptoms and specially the blisters could be due to shingles. The treatment involves antiviral drugs along with pain killers and steroids to control the viral infection. Topical antibiotics and dressings are recommended to avoid any superadded infections.The nerve pain may be persistent even after the lesions subside.
The lesions do recover on their own also but these are associated with prolonged illness and more complications. A direct physical examination by a physician is recommended for proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor