Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Having pain in hip and groin area. X-ray showed no fracture. How to get relief?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hello, My mom, 67 yo fell down on the floor from 2 feet high on her left hip 2 weeks ago (trying to get away from the house that was flooded the night when hurricane XXXXXXX was in our town). X-ray confirmed that no fracture, no cracks- everything is good. But she is still in pain (in scale of 10, she is 9-10 every day )and it's not getting any better. Pain in left back hip and goes to groin, no bruises, no swelling, can bend her leg, at night difficult to turn from side to side. She was taken Advil 500 mlg for 1 week, also still use Bengay Cream, but not even slight improvements. She doesn't have insurance. How long will pain last? ANy pills? Thank you
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

There is possibility of soft tissue injury or stress fracture of femoral neck.

Now two weeks already passed still your mom have severe pain over her hip, there is more chance of stress fracture.

Frequently, routine radiograph initially are normal and diagnosis confirmed by bone scan or MRI.

Therefore, I suggest you to consult her to an orthopaedic surgeon for thorough examination and repeat x XXXXXXX bone scan or MRI under his or her guidance,

Meanwhile, she can take anti inflammatory drug diclofenac 50mg one tablet with food as and when required (up to 3 tablet daily) to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor