Having pain in head and behind ear. What is the disease?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For the last few weeks I have a pain on the right side of my head , both above and behind the ear. Most felt when burping or sipping drink through a straw. Sometimes scalp is tender to touch. Pain is not constant
though pain is not constant it is felt most of the time, rarely, if at all, at night. Not throbbing but feels mostly like I have hit my head on something, but no injury sustained.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious illness.

The most likely cause for your pain could be due to muscle tension headache. In this condition, pain may last for several hours per day, but without vomiting, nausea or blurred vision. For the pain relief, you may take analgesics such as diclofenac or ibuprofen.

The other possibility could be a mastoid infection, however, it occurs in the setting of an ear infection (such as ear discharge, fever, etc). This condition looks less likely in your case.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist