Having pain in hand and leg. Is this a symptoms of heart attack?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My mother is having pain in the left hand and left leg from yesterday. Is it any symptoms of possible heart attack.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 50 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Not likely
Heart attack does not cause pain in the leg - not below the navel anyway.
Left chest, left arm, even right arm pain – it can.

If the pain is there in both hand and pain, one has to consider brain – stroke in evolution / Spine – spondylosis pressing the spinal cord and so on.

The best solution is to go the Emergency.
Heart attack can easily be excluded by serial ECGs and enzyme assay.
A neurologist can assess the nervous system.

You MUST TAKE HER to THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT - IMMEDIATELY
Better be safe than sorry - treated if a problem is found / Happy, if it turns out otherwise.
In suspected heart attack or stroke, TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE – if detected early, an attack may even be aborted / the amount of damage and complications can be reduced remarkably. The most important time is the first few hours.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck