Having pain in back and arm. Is this a sign of breast cancer?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Breast Cancer
Question: I have had a pain that starts in my back and it goes down my left arm for about 2to weeks. It has gotten better but still painful now my armpit is tender. Is this a sign of breast cancer?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX. It doesnt seems to be typical symptom of breast cancer and cancer should be the last thing to think of.
Can you feel some lump in your breast and armpit or see any redness or swelling?
Pain you are describing is more likely to be caused by ischaemic heart disease, most often angina pectoris. Also, tender armpit is caused by any kind of infection and most of them are benign.
To be sure i recommend to do RTG and ultrasound imaging of breast, but I think there is no need to worry.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help