Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Having pain in arm and tightness in wrist. Diagnosed with arthritis. What's going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2105 Questions
Hi, i am 22 year old female, i have been experiencing pain in my right arm starting at my shoulder going down to finger tips my whole hand will feel like it fell asleep and start aching (Dull), my arm then begins to spasm right below my elbow crease. i did go to my doctor he said i had arthritis and gave me a splint when i wear the splint my hand and wrist feels like its on fire and is very painful, the pain has gotten worse and more noticeable where my family can i actually see my arm spasm and my skin shake on my right arm, i no longer have health ins so i cant go back to my doctor. i don't not do any typing etc. my wrist does feel tight and when i make a fist and make it go downward it hurts..any idea whats going on? thanks for helping.

Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you are having some nerve compression in your cervical (neck) area, which is presenting symptoms you have in your hand.

You should get a MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) of your neck done to rule out cervical spondylosis.

Physiotherapy is beneficial in such cases. But you should first consult an Orthopedic surgeon and a Neurophysician to get yourself completely examined and investigated.

You can take pain killers twice a day along with a muscle relaxant like chloraxazone and an antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg once a day taken early in the morning before breakfast.

Methylcobalamin (Vitamin B12) supplement can be taken once a day for relief from nerve pain as it helps in nerve regeneration.

If the pain is severe, you can take Pregabalin for relief in neurological pain.

Any medicine should be taken under medical supervision only.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in arm and tightness in wrist. Diagnosed with arthritis. What's going on? 1 hour later
Hello, Thank you for answering me so fast, does this explain why my back is really sore to the touch? if someone runs there hand across my back it hurts and is very sensitive?
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 minutes later

Thanks for your response.

Yes, pain due to cervical spondylosis can also radiate to the back.

But MRI and clinical examination will further confirm the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any more doubts, please mention.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in arm and tightness in wrist. Diagnosed with arthritis. What's going on? 28 minutes later
okay i will get checked out as soon as possible, its not my whole back that is sensitive just like 3inches down from my neck its hurts when someone rubs or touches like diff kind of pain hard too explain...thank you for all your help
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 6 hours later

You are welcome.

I understand; the area you have mentioned is affected in cervical spondylosis.
In addition to MRI, also get yourself examined by an Orthopedician and a Neurophysician as mentioned before.

In the meantime, you can also use soft cervical collar for maintaining the proper posture of the neck.

I wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor