Having pain from groin till knee. Physio and stretching exercises are painful. What should I do further?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have pain and tightness in the groin going around to the buttock down to my knee and pain in lower back,for six weeks,been having physio and now stretching exercises which are so painful,help!
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do adequate warming up before starting exercises. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. For pain to go, it takes not only rest (on a comfortable bed) but also avoidance of particular positions (during work, rest or recreation). While on work don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks. Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that. Also discontinue any strenuous activity for some time. You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. As stretching exercises are painful, discontinue them for some time or do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily. Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. You can take anti-inflammatory drug like ibuprofen (motrin) to reduce pain. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Wishing you speedy recovery.. Take care