Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Having pain below ribs, feeling full after eating. Had diarrhoea and flatulence. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
I have had considerable pain below my ribs, and when I stand up from stting, and after eating I feel really full.
I vommitted on Friday night after eating, then on Saturday had severe diarhoea but not since.
A bit of flatulance as well, after eating or drinking.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 52 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Upper abdominal pain, especially after a meal and nausea can be caused by stomach issues, gallstones or pancreas inflammation.
As you are over the age of 50, colon cancer should always be ruled out with symptoms like abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea.

Stomach issues (like peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation, Helicobacter Pylori infection) usually give upper middle abdominal pain, mostly 1-2 hours after a meal. Nausea and vomiting can be present.

Gallstones or pancreas inflammation usually give upper right abdominal pain, radiating to the back. Nausea and vomiting is characteristic. The pain is usually triggered by fatty foods, spicy foods or alcohol.

Large intestine issues (including colon cancer) can give symptoms of partial bowels obstruction. It can be diarrhea and/or constipation (can appear alternately), weight loss, bloating, weakness, blood in stool, abdominal pain, nausea, loss of appetite.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have some tests done. You should start with abdominal ultrasound (will rule out gallstones), blood work (will tell if hemoglobin level is fine - colon cancer gives low hemoglobin level), liver and pancreas tests, urine analysis and stool tests (FOBT - fecal occult blood test will tell if there is any blood in stool).
Depending of the results gastroscopy (if all tests will be negative) and colonoscopy (in case of blood in stool, low hemoglobin level) should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor