Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Having pain and swelling in vaginal area. Taking painkillers and using aloe vera gel. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 689 Questions
I didnt know what was happening to me.A couple of weeks ago I was in excrutiating agony. After using a mirror and seeing the one side of my vagina swollen I got online, and found out that It was a Bartholin cyst. After bathing, taking painkillers and using aloe vera gel for the relief of pain ...the cyst burst. It has been about 2 weeks and although there is no visible swelling anymore I still feel alot of pain in that region. it is on both sides.. Im 33 and this is my first experience like it. I have severe vagina tenderness and chronic pain now. any pressure is discomforting. :( what should I do?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 40 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing to us.

Bartholin's cyst develops in the lower part of the labia near the vaginal opening.These occur due to blockage of the bartholin's gland which develops into a cyst. A Bartholin's cyst is usually not very painful, and significant pain suggests that an abscess has developed. However, large cysts may be painful simply by virtue of their size. Now since your cyst has bursted out, I presume supportive management should help you in alleviating pain.
Sitz Bath method is one of these where you have to sit in a tub filled a few inches with warm water. Doing this daily for three and four times for 15 minutes for a few days can work as a Bartholin Cyst natural remedy. Also it would reduce the pain you have. It is very useful in healing the affected area.
Soaking the vulva (genital region) with warm towel compress also helps.
Use anti inflammatory drugs like brufen to reduce the pain.

If your pain does not reduce these home remedies, you should see a gynecologist personally. This is to rule out possibility of infection and reforming of the bartholin's cyst. You need to start an antibiotic to treat the infection as otherwise an abscess can form. Also recurrence is common when cyst burst on their own. The definitive treatment is a minor surgical procedure known as marsupilization where a permanent opening is created for drainage of the cysts. This involves making an incision on cyst and stitching the edges of the incision. Chances of recurrence are less after marsupilization.

Meanwhile avoid intercourse as it would aggravate your pain.
Keep the genital area clean to avoid infections.

I hope I have answered your query.
Kindly revert back if you have any further questions.

take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain and swelling in vaginal area. Taking painkillers and using aloe vera gel. What should I do? 7 minutes later
I have continued with the baths, painkillers etc.... but Im wanting to know how long before I dont feel anymore pain? when Should I be concerned or book an app. with the Gynae?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 17 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

If you have been doing sits bath, taking analgesics and still your pain is persiting then I suggest you should XXXXXXX your gynecologist as soon as possible. This is because there must be an underlying infection which has made the inflammation and pain persist despite using pain killers.
Physical examination is a must for any diagnosis.
If you have an abscess forming, the doctor would give you antibiotics followed by surgical drainage of the same.
Pain would persist if infection remains untreated so consult as early as possible so that you start your antibiotics soon.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain and swelling in vaginal area. Taking painkillers and using aloe vera gel. What should I do? 8 minutes later
I understand. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 10 hours later
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor