Having pain and sores in mouth. Suggest a remedy

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: Hi...this is XXXXXXX from Royal Sundaram (Chennai)....am having some pain in mouth....some sores in my mouth...please suggest any immediate remedy....
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX thanks for writing to us.

You’re having pain and sores in your mouth.

The sores in mouth are called aphthous ulcer.

The treatment of aphthous ulcer depends upon the cause.

Although exact cause is not known, however following factors are thought to be responsible for aphthous ulcer:

Stress, smoking, tissue injury,
Certain foods like citrus or acidic fruits, spices,
Some time sharp tooth, loose ill fitting denture
Vitamin B12 and vitamin C, Zinc,folic acid or iron deficiency
Some tooth paste containing lauryl sulfte.

If you have any of above mentioned factors, which are responsible for your soreness and pain please try to avoid all these factors.

Pain from aphthous ulcer generally lessen in few days and ulcer usually heal without any specific treatment in about a week, but measures can be taken to alleviate the pain and discomfort and hasten the course.

Therapies include:

Topical medication (applied directly on ulcer)
Mouth washes
Oral medications
.
Topical medications include numbing ointments,

No1. Benzocaine (oragel),ointment should be applied few times a daily directly over the sore to reduce irritation from eating, drinking or brushing

No2.Topical 2% lidcaine (an anaesthetic) gel to reduce pain. In very painful conditions ,local injection of lidocaine can be given.

No3.Anti inflammatory (steroid) gels may be applied locally to reduce the inflammation. The steroid used for this purpose usually is fluocinoide (lidex) and triamcinolone
.
No4.Topical antibiotics like tetracycline (Achromycin)

Mouth wash, solutions like diphenhydrmine suspension can be used as a mouth rinse to provide temporary relief from the pain of sores. It should not be swallowed.
This generally available over counter. Steroid anti inflammatory mouth rinses reduce the pain and inflammation but are prescribed for patient with sever sores, due to potential side effects.

Rinsing the mouth with tetracycline several times a day usually relives pain in 24 hours and allows complete healing in 5 to 7 days.

Oral medication; Ibuprofen(Advil) or acetaminophen(Tylenol) for pain relief if the pain due to sore is intolerable. Some patients gets relief from sucking on zinc lozenges or taking vitamin B and C complex

Orally taken antibiotics are of no use, but if sores are caused by a yeast infection, a topical anti fungal medication like nystatin is usefull

Finally a consultation with a physician or dentist will be of great benefit.

Hope this answered your question.

If you have any more queries, do write to us

Dr Sadiq