Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Having pain and internal burning in thumb. Is this arthritis and what are the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10359 Questions
I am a female, 39 yrs old, 5'6", approx 160 lbs, active but do not work out. I have had what I have always assumed to be arthritis in my thumbs for prob about 15 yrs now. Most commonly aggravated by the cold in the winter months & sometimes just from general overuse. Hasn't been that bad of an issue & flare ups are usually rare (few times a yr) & brief. Recently, I have had pain in the base of my left thumb accompanied by an XXXXXXX burning that has lasted & progressively gotten worse over the past week. Tiger Balm has helped but less so as time has passed the last few days. Pain & burning are both becoming quite an issue. Common for arthritis & easily managed??Burning is increasing in intensity & has rendered my left hand pretty much useless for a good part of the day, which sucks considering I have company coming in from out of town in 2 days to stay a week with us & I have a lot of cleaning to do!! Grrrrrrr............
Hope so!
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain confined only to your thumb is likely to be due to gouty arthritis. Gout happens when there are increased uric acid levels in the blood and the uric acid crystals start depositing in the joint capsules causing the joint inflammation.
It can happen due to decreased excretion of urates by kidney, dietary changes or due to genetic predisposition.
It is associated with consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.
Taking a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C, dairy products and coffee is likely to help in improvement of symptoms.
Drink plenty of water daily to help the kidneys clear the uric acid. Reducing meat intake mill help a little. If it is causing you symptoms, you can seek medical help and ask your doctor to prescribe you some analgesics and specific medicines which increase the uric acid excretion from the kidneys.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor