Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Having osteoporosis and arthritis. Had a knee and hip replacement. Having back pain. Using morphine patch and painkillers

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10351 Questions
Fairly healthy for a 93 year old, but suffers from osteoporosis and arthritis. Has had a knee replacement and hip replacement. About a week ago she felt something change in her back and it is extremely painful. She says it's like someone sticking needles in it. She has been using a morphine patch and prescription painkillers for several years. Waiting 2 weeks for an X XXXXXXX result
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I have seen the picture attached. There is a kyphosis of the lumbar spine. A collapse of vertebra due to osteoporosis is likely.
The X-ray report will make the diagnosis clear. Sometimes MRI scan is also needed to detect the muscle relaxants in combination with pain killers prescribed from her orthopedician. Absolute bed rest is necessary to keep the pain at bay.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having osteoporosis and arthritis. Had a knee and hip replacement. Having back pain. Using morphine patch and painkillers 8 hours later
At her age major surgery is not an option. I read an article about vertebroplasty which seems to work well for people with her condition. Would this be the best option? Is there any other treatment? Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
It is true that a major surgery cannot be planned at her age. Vertebroplasty is an option but this depends on the extent of collapse, nerve involvement, degree of damage, etc which needs an MRI scan and a clinical assessment.
Do wait for the reports and let your spine surgeon select the best treatment for her.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor