Having occipital pain and tingling sensation in head. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Went to a Chiropractor for occipital pain and some tingling in head. He put a towel kinda around my head and under chin. I was laying on my back. He then proceeded to pull the towel till I was actually sliding on table and then he gave it a powerful snatch. This almost made me pass out. My neck now hurts worse. My main question I guess about this is this a common technique and is it safe. Im thinking its not something i wanna do again. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello.

In my opinion it is not safe technique and I will advice you not to do it again. This procedure might increase the bulge which is already present in c5 and c7 region.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for detailed examination and proper diagnosis. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Meanwhile use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.Do not lift heavy weights on head or back. Do not sit for prolonged period of time in stressful postures.

I hope that clears your doubts.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.