Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Having no periods for 3 years. Taking birth control pills from one and half year. What to do?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
hello, am concerned, I haven't had my period for 3 years and I've been off birth control for a year and a half. Also I have other questions about some things too.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

For your clinical condition, I like to know the following things to assist you better. Kindly give detailed history as much as possible.

1) Do you have any systemic or autoimmune disease?
2) Do you undergo any investigations like pelvic ultrasound or hormonal tests? If yes, you can upload all test report.
3) Do you have any endocrine disorder like PCOS, obesity etc?
4) Give details on your current medication or psychiatric drugs.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having no periods for 3 years. Taking birth control pills from one and half year. What to do? 3 hours later
1) I've never been tested for a systemic or autoimmune disease, so I don't know.

2) I was suppose to have a pelvic ultrasound, but I didn't go because I didn't think it was necessary and I felt uncomfortable about it and didn't want to get the test.

3) I've never been tested for endocrine disorders, but I am a bit overweight.

4) Am currently on 2 psychiatric medications, one for my mood, one for I think depression. The medications are resperidone and celexa.

I also had blood work done a few months ago, and for some reason the doctor wanted to test my beta HCG levels, my beta HCG was I think 1.2.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 7 hours later

Thanks for giving additional information regarding your condition.

Absence of period is termed amenorrhea. Long period of amenorrhea is commonly associated with PCOS or ovarian cyst, hypothyroidism state, over weight, chronic / long term use of psychiatric medication, irregular diet habit or anorexia, uterine pathology or pelvic infection, high prolactin level, etc. It would be extremely difficult for any gynecologist to identify the exact cause without investigations.

Beta hCG levels are routinely checked to learn about pregnancy status. It is evident that your doctor wanted to check for pregnancy and have ruled that out.

I feel you need to undergo a battery of tests under the guidance of your gynecologist to identify the possible causes. You would need a complete health check up and relevant investigations like pelvic ultrasound scan, thyroid profile, LH/ FSH ratio, blood sugar (PPBS) test, prolactin & blood testosterone level to pin point the diagnosis.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiology. You may require hormonal medication along with other supportive treatment to bring your period back.

In the interim, do the following things:
1) Take healthy low carbohydrate diet with more vegetables.
2) Make sure your bowel habit is regular and maintain personal hygiene properly.
3) Do regular physical exercise to control body weight and it has key role.
4) Try to avoid stress by yoga or meditation or deep breathing exercise regularly.
5) Take iron & vitamin supplements & avoid all junk/ fast/ spicy food stuff.
6) Drink plenty of water/ fluid and always take sound sleep.

Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having no periods for 3 years. Taking birth control pills from one and half year. What to do? 16 hours later
You cant tell me what to eat for starters, also I could be pregnant and the doctor just didn't want to tell me. How do you know that, your not me. I do take care of myself and I do maintain personal hygiene. Also, how would you know anything about my weight, and really that's none of your business.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 26 minutes later

Thanks for your response.

I am sorry If I have conveyed myself wrong.

According to your blood test report, beta HCG value 1.2 indicates non-pregnant state. It is more reliable test to rule out pregnancy. You can undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan (100% confirmatory) to clear your suspicion about pregnancy.

As you have mentioned previously that you are over weight little bit, you need to maintain a healthy life style and weight reduction is essential to bring back your period. Please consult with your gynecologist to proceed above mentioned investigations for proper management of this case.

Be well & stay healthy in future.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having no periods for 3 years. Taking birth control pills from one and half year. What to do? 50 minutes later
where can I find a gynecologist in my area?

or a doctor in my area? Where do you practice?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 6 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I am from India and practicing in Kolkata, West Bengal. It is quite far away from your place to visit. It is better to consult with gynecologist in your near location.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW

Hope, it helps for you.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor