Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Having neurofibroma from childhood and was told their is no treatment. Will it pass on to child?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2570 Questions
Dear Sir,

This is XXXXX, i am from Hyderabad, i am having neurofibroma, i am only having this in my entire family.

from the age of 10 first i saw this on my hand slowly developing on entire body and consulted doctor they said their is no treatment for this, even my both parents are Doctors, now i am 32, still ia m getting new neurofibroma's.

Last year i got married, now gifted with female baby, i am fearing about my child future whether she may also get this, i want to conclude this, for this are they an test to predict the future of my child,

are they any remides to prevent, please suggest my child future

thanking you


Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No tests...

Detailed Answer:

If you have multiple neurofibroma, then the condition is termed as neurofibromatosis. This condition can be transmitted to offspring and the specific pattern of transmission allows us to predict that your daughter has 50% chances of getting the condition.

As far as testing is concerned, yes genetic testing to identify the affected gene is available. However considering that the test is expensive and the fact that this is only for diagnostic purpose and not therapeutic, genetic testing for all practical purpose is not done.

I understand you are concerned now. But since this condition would not harm your child, I suggest you not to worry. Besides she has 50% chances of not getting this condition.

Hope this helps you. You are free to discuss further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having neurofibroma from childhood and was told their is no treatment. Will it pass on to child? 3 hours later
Dear Sir,

i want to go for the test for mu daughter, is their any age limit for this test, is this test available in hyderabad, and what will the approx cost for test.

is their any remedy for me to control this neurofibromates please give a suggestion
Answered by Dr. Prasad 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DNA Labs India...

Detailed Answer:

Before I address the first part of your query, let me remind you that testing is an expensive and unnecessary attempt. Because we do not have a means to cure the condition even if we test her to be positive.

But if you wish to go ahead with testing, you can contact DNA labs India which is the only centre in India equipped to test for genetic defects. Fortunately I think there is a branch in Hyderabad at Times Square, Barkatpura, Hyderabad - 27.
You might require a prescription request from your doctor to test the condition.

The test can be performed at any age.

As far as your second question, unfortunately the current clinical treatment does not provide cure/control over this condition. Since neurofibroma is a benign harmless condition, we surgically remove the growth whenever they cause cosmetic concern / pressure effects. Besides that, chemotherapy and radiation treatment is limited only to growth with potentials to turn cancerous.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor