Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Having nerve and joint pain. Had a back injury and undergone lower disc surgery. Swelling in joints. Feeling tired. Suggest a solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I have been having a lot of pain nerve and joint for about 5 years it seems to be getting worse the older I get I had a back injury about that time and had to have surgery on my lower disc. I also have fatigue swelling in joints I am very tired of feeling tired all the time any ideas
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Degenerative disease of spine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Its apparant from your description that you have got a degenerative disease of spine. Some have it at 60-65 and some may have it early like in your case. Basically you should undergo a MRI of your spine which will give you an idea whether the likely compression is treatable with surgery or not.
If the condition is treatable, at age of 54 it would be wise to go ahead with the second surgery as that will make you functional.
Otherwise the option that we have are to mitigate the pain. You can start pregaba, a molecule which will reduce your pain.Even amitryptiline is a good medication which reduces such pain to a large extent.
Do consult a physiotherapist who would like to advise you some back exercises and do , do them regularly.
Also it seems that along with the pain you have depressive symptoms as well and that needs to be taken care of. Cognitive behavioural therapy is a good option.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor