Having neck pain extending to shoulder and head. What could it be?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: There is pain in the right side of the neck everyday in the evening and the pain extends to the upper shoulder and head. When the pain occurs, I am unable to move. The pain alleviates when I give a compression with hot water. What could it possibly be?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be due to sprain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The pain on the right side of the neck in the evening that gets relieved on hot fomentation is likely to be due to a muscle sprain, cervical spondylosis, improper body posture or weak core muscles of the neck. You should do following to have relief - -At least have an x ray of cervical spine. Best will be to have a MRI of spine. -Wear a cervical collar. This will at least give rest to your strained muscles. -Avoid bending your neck at abnormal position for long time, like on computer. -Do warm water fomentation with help of water bag over your neck. -Take a good analgesic like combination of tramadol with paracetamol. -Test for levels of vitamin B12, If low do take Vitamin B12 supplements. -Take help of a physiothearpist. He will be able to give your relief by intermittent traction, ultrasonic therapy etc. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Dear Dr Tayal, I want to get an MRI done, but would probably need a referral for that. Would it be possible to get the referral so that I can proceed on your advised course? Regards XXXXX XXXXXXX
Brief Answer: You can use a print out of this discussion. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. You can take a print out of this discussion and get an MRI of the cervical spine done for proper diagnosis. Consulting an orthopedician will also be helpful for proper prescription medicines. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards