Having neck pain after i wake up. Due to sleeping direction?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been experiencing minor neck pain maily after I wake up from sleep. Sometimes I get eye strain with it too. I am due for another eye appointment so I will be making one of those soon. It dosen't occur all the time. I though I might just be sleeping wrong but I have tried to reposistion my pillows and it helps a little but not comepletely. Any other remedies or treatment suggested?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the neck that you experience on getting up is likely to be a positional anomaly causing stiffness of the neck muscles.
The symptoms you have might be related to cervical spondylosis too.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
You can avoid using a pillow.
As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.