Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Having nausea and abdominal pain. CT scan showed enlarged appendix. Any thoughts?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
Hi, I have been ill for almost 12 months. - nausea, generally low energy, abdominal bloating, and on several ocasions severe abdoninal pain/vomiting. After these episodes it takes 2 weeks to settle. Start feeling ok then wake up nauseas again the abdominal bloating, pain etc. This pattern goes on and on. I had a ct scan 2 weeks ago and it revealed an enlarged appendix. Is it possible I have an infected appendix all the time. CT scan showed no gall stones etc or intestinal compromise. Your thoughts please.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

An enlarged/inflamed appendix alone can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Infection of the appendix is not required to cause these symptoms. Symptoms of an inflamed appendix include: pain, vomiting, fever, nausea. Symptoms experienced once appendix becomes more severely swollen are: pain and tenderness in specific site in lower abdomen (right lower quadrant), pain radiating in the form of a belt all over the lower abdomen, etc.

The complication of an enlarged/swollen/inflamed appendix are: infection leading to peritonitis, gangrene, rupture, shock, etc.

Yes sir, if your appendix is inflamed/swollen, it can be this way till treated. You will have to approach a doctor for treatment. I would also like to ask if any endoscopic examinations were undertaken? If yes, what were the reports?

An enlarged/inflamed appendix is considered an emergency sir. Please visit your doctor and attain the required medical treatment for your condition.

I hope this information helps. If there is anything I have forgotten to address, do write back to me regarding this, and I shall gladly help you. Wishing you a speedy recovery sir.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor