Having mild fever and groin pain. Test results show HbsAg is 2.04 iu/ml. What does this mean?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have tested yesterday and found that my HbsAg is 2.04 iu/ml. What does that mean.? I m having mild fever for last 12 days and body ache with groin pain may be lymph swelling. Please advise Sir.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probable chronic hepatitis B.. Detailed Answer: Hi, I read carefully your liver panel and I see that you have high ALT level ,all the others are normal. HbsAg of 2.04 iu /ml is called positive. This test shows the presence of the virus B in your body. So, at this point, you need to run other serological tests to be evaluated more related to chronic hepatitis B by your GI specialist. With regards to your symptoms like mild fever, body ache I would say it is related with your viral B infection. Hope it answered to your concern! If you have more questions, feel free to ask me at the next follow up. Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 38 minutes later
Dear Dr.Klerida, Thank you so much. Do you think its chronic actually I have never encountered this. I do have one incidence of jaundice on 2005 perhaps because of food and other contaminated water. Well i will perform other tests also.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: please follow the suggestions below.. Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXXX Thank you for writing back. Yes I suspect it is chronic hepatitis B, but I can say exactly only after hepatitis B blood panel tests. May be you have been infected with hepatitis B without clinical symptoms, this happens often. With regards to your jaundice on 2005, are you sure it has been from food or contaminated water? Acute hepatitis B is associate with jaundice too. Do you have any exams taken at that situation?If yes , you can attach it to me. Wish you health. If you have more concerns, feel free to write me back! Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D