Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Having menstrual irregularities. Should I be concerned?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
For the last 2 months my periods have been very light almost considering spotting. I have them for about 2 weeks or less and then they stop but start again anywhere from 2 weeks to 18 days. I am too scared to go to doctor I have panic and angziety. Should I be concerned I have never had any problems.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Premenopause syndrome can explain this Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your health query, I do not think you should worry much in regards to this since you are fast approaching menopause with age 48. Most women start experiencing premenopausal syndrome from about 45 years and achieve menopause at around 50 years. When a woman start experiencing menstrual irregularities at your age, premenopause is the most likely culprit. Then if you are sexually active, it will be wise to exclude pregnancy and your gynecologist may go further to investigate if there are any other pelvic diseases conditions. I am sorry about the fact that you are hypochondriac, but be rest assured that your condition must not necessary mean that there is something worst going. I often have my patients confront me with the question of whether or not they might be having a uterine or cervical cancer etc but you should know that if that is the reason for your panic/anxiety, then you should be calm and gather some courage so a doctor can actually take a look at your situation. If it is something serious, that should be handled early enough before the situation might get worst. Hope this helps and please feel free to write back for further questions. Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor