Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Having memory trouble. Suggest medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
Hi my father is having trouble with his there any medication he can take for it...he is 67 yrs old with heart disease.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there are medication; however it depends on the cause...

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

There are a variety of drugs like tacrine, rivastigmine, galantamine and donepezil etc. which can be used for preservation of memory and preventing further deterioration. However they are used after the type and cause of memory impairment is established. We have few types like senile dementia (age related), Alzheimer, lewi body dementia and so on. While there are few other brought on by preexisting medical problems - vascular abnormalities, systemic disease and so on.

It is important that the cause and type of dementia is established. Therefore I will suggest you to consult a neurologist for this as the cause for memeory loss needs to be determined before starting any medication . A MMSE will be done to evaluate for the cognitive dysfunction. If needed MRI Brain will be required for the purpose. Supportive psychotherapy is also required for such patients .

In my opinion you should seek the advise of a neurologist as personal questions and cognitive assessment will be required to identify the cause. Medicine can be suggested accordingly.

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor