Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Having lump on the back of head with neck pain, ear ache and fatigue. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6487 Questions
My husband has had a lump on the back of his head for years but lately it has started to grow and cause him discomfort. We don't know if it is related but he has also started having neck pain, earaches, and general fatigue. The lump isn't hard, but it isn't squishy either. We have always felt it was just a cyst but are starting to become concerned. He would NEVER consent to a biopsy so I am not sure what other options are available to us to diagnose it. Additional Details The lump is currently about the size of a grape. It has almost doubled in size over the last year. The skin above it is not red. The lump does not itch.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Most probably swelling is benign in nature. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX From history, it seems that your husband's swelling is chronic in nature and such chronic cases are generally benign in nature. Firstly he should be properly examined and investigated. Most cases are diagnosed on clinical and imaging basis. Biopsy is not needed in most of the cases. Swelling may be due to lipoma,dermoid etc. CT Scan(Brain) may be needed to confirm extension of disease internally. So,you should consult surgeon. Other physical problems like neck pain, earache and generalized weakness is not related to swelling. It is due to other reasons. It needs to be investigated. He needs investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,Lipid profile,RFT. For neck pain,X-ray cervical spine (AP/Lateral view) should be taken. For earache he needs ENT consultation. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor