Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

131 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having lump on carotid artery. Sore to touch. Feels while moving neck. Any advice?

Answered by
Dr. Vidya KR

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 1561 Questions

Posted on Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a lump on the right side of my neck at the base of my neck. I believe it's on my carotid artery. it is about the size of a quarter and is sore to the touch. The area of my carotid is sore to the touch all the way up to the jaw. I can also feel it's presence when I move my neck. What is your opinion and advise? Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Hi, Thanks for using the XXXXXXX

As you have stage 4 liver diseases the chances of infection are more. The tender lump at the base of neck may be due to infection at that site or due to lymphnode.

If the lump is on carotid artery as you mentioned, better to consult the physician for examination and management since the pressure on the carotid artery increases blood pressure (You are also on antihypertensive medication).

I like to advice you to consult your physician to examine you and start antibiotic course for the infection.

As you have stage 4 liver diseases get Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis done and if necessary biopsy of the lump in neck and AFP levels done after consulting your doctor to rule out any other disease.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Thanks, get well soon....

Dr Vidya KR

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Stroke

doctor1 MD

hi this is siva from chennai.... three weeks back my father was died because of sudden heart attack with stroke. we tried to save by taking him to the nearest hosipital but could not. the reports was given after the first aid. it is mention like he got hypertension.

doctor1 MD

my 22 yr. old son has been experiencing high blood pressure which according to charts he is in stage 1 hypertension. The latest reading was 151 over 93. The last 2 weeks he s experienced something not right in his upper left shoulder/chest area. (uncomfortable or light pain) He did see his doctor (a family physician) and had a EKG done. His doctor stated that he has some constriction going on therefore the blood flows back. she put him on some blood pressure pills (I don t recall the name) to calm the vessels. Our history is as follows: His great grandfather died of a heart attack at age 49, his great uncle who was in his sixties died of a heart attack, his grandmother had Chronic kidney disease in her fifties (she had to go on dialyis) and she did have a stroke. I am the mother and also have Kidney disease like my mother. I am concerned about my son. My son has to go back in two weeks to have some blood work done. I m just wondering if this is enough testing. Could there be a blockage? Should he see a cardiologist?

doctor1 MD

Im a 52 y/o female who had gained 25 lbs. last yr. when i moved up north and had to go back on my Asthma meds. I am an R.N. and personal trainer who exercises 6-7 days a week and eats healthy wt 128-133 lbs. @ 5 6. My father was thin and an athlete as well yet his Cholesterol/ Triglycerides were high. He also had insulin dependent diabetes. Almost all family died of Heart Attacks with another cousin with STROKE @ 46. My mother recently lost 55 lbs. and is now off her meds w/exception of Glucophage. My Dr. wants to put me on Statins as my T Chol=262 LDL=167 HDL=76 Trig=93. I realize that im menopausal. What are the benefits of HRT s and/or other options as i am reluctant to add another medication and in fact am off almost all meds except my Singular.

doctor1 MD

for the last 4 days, I ve experienced either a tightening or pulsating sensation located at my right temple, today I am feeling that extend from my temple to my forehead. Of course reading symptoms of stroke or aneurysm have just made me worry. I need insight on what could possibly be causing this discomfort.

doctor1 MD

Can testicular torsion cause LOW grade pain?

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My left testicle has been giving me slight pain and discomfort for around a week now. Especially when I lay on my side to go to sleep, it floats substantially in front of my right testicle. When I m standing it is more elevated than my right, and...