Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Having lump on breast. Mammogram showed abnormality. Should I go with chemotherapy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
I had a lump in my breast over a year ago. mammogram showed abnormal but on my visit to a specialist I was told we would watch and return in 6 mths. There had been no change and they said I could have it removed or just watch it. I chose to just watch. It was small and I had no family history. Since my visit my sister has passed due to invasive breast cancer. She was diagnosed 9 mths ago. She also had a small lump removed the previous year and was told it was benign. then developed another lump under her arm and that was the beginning of her sickness. I have developed another lump and am schedule for another mammogram. my question is if it is abnormal can I opt to have chemotherapy no matter what my result would be of a lumpectomy?? I just want to go ahead with chemo no matter what!!!! to be sure!!!
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Abnormal lump,lumpectomy,chemotherapy... Detailed Answer: Hi, I run through your medical history and I am sorry for the situation you are in. I also understand your worries, and am happy to hear that you are already taking medical assistance. Breast lumps are not necessarily cancerous unless biopsy might determine it better. Furthermore, if your breast lump resulted to be cancerous, the next step is to evaluate if it is spread or not. The right therapy is determined based on the severity of the cancer. Usually, chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy could be suggested by the oncologist after reviewing the test results and possible surgical techniques. All the best! Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have more questions, do not hesitate to contact me again! I'd be glad to assist you further! Dr.Bardha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor