Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Having lower back pain. MRI scan done. What treatment should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I am having lower back pain and pain going down in left leg from 8 years.I cannot bend forward or lift weight more than 3 kgs.I had an M.R.I Scan and the result is as follows-
L5-S1 intervertebral disc shows diffuse posterior bulge with posterocentral and left paracentral extrusion showing mild cadual migration compressing theleft traversing nerve roots.Mild indentation of right traversing and bilateral exiting nerve root is also noted at same level with resultant thecal sac area of 100 posterior bulge indenting l4-l5 level.Mild ligamentum flavum hyperthropy noted at same level.....what should I do to permanently come out of such problem and back pain,I dont want to go for a surgery,.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 44 minutes later
Your problem is related to disc prolapse.
The problem is quite progressed as apparent by the MRI changes you have described.
A spinal surgeon must be consulted soon bacause any sudden jerk or missed move may result in cord compression and may result in paraplegia- that is complete loss of function of the lower limbs and may be incontinence also.
I do not believe that anything less than a surgery can help you bring out of this problem permanently.
Rather you are at risk to loose the lower limb function permanently.
I would request you to refrain from treaments offered by untrained people with great promises- you are very young, so do not get in to new trouble through quacks.
I hope this advise would be helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having lower back pain. MRI scan done. What treatment should I do? 41 hours later
I went to a spinal surgeon with the M.R.I report.He recommended some stretching exercises ,asked me to walk in a swimming pool and loose some weight as I am very overweight,he said that you may avoid surgery by this for a long time.My weight is 92 kg and my height is 5 foot 10 inches.Will loosing weight and exercises and water aerobic exercises won't cure my problem?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
A 92 kg weight is very heavy load to be borne by your weak spine,
I missed to ask you this point but this is very important point in your physical examination that is why I always like my patients to be reviewed by their local doctors if possible.
Yes, your surgeon is right, if you can cut down 20% weight from here it would help re-align the orientation of Center of Mass.
Avoid vigorous jerky swimming, take training of smooth sinuous swimming.
I think there is some hope but be watchful of any increase in local pain and creeping in weakness.
I wish a great XXXXXXX for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having lower back pain. MRI scan done. What treatment should I do? 18 minutes later
Thankyou very much sir,
I have some doubts if you can clear them it would be great help
1)in my case what is better hot compress or cold compress of my lower back?
2)is massage of my back helpful in disc bulge or should be avoided?
3)any other helpful tips to keep disc bulge under check or cure it?
3) by proper exercises and reducing my weight can i lead a healthy life for long time?as i need to plan for my future and family also,I am little confused regarding it..I mean in this case can i avoid surgery or these cases ultimately lead to big problems..I always maintain my posture,exercise regularly,eat very healthy food,avoid lifting weight,bending forward,running in any pain is not very severe and does not occurs all time,but i am not able to sit/stand in one position for long is it that severe? as your first answer disturbed me very immensely emotionally and mentally..looking forward for your answer..
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later
I must say that hot/cold and massage things can work in some patients with muscle injuries but your problem is different- it is of nerve and disc so avoid that sort of treatments.
Weight reduction and back muscle exercises can work as I have already told you.
You would get to know in coming 3-4 months how much benefit you would get through these supportive methods.
If you have problems then get the spine stabilised by a good spinal surgeon, personally I feel a surgical stabilisation gives a more surety in such cases, and if required should be done early rather than being too late.
I did not intend to disturb you but in difficult situation saying the truth is better rather than talking sweet to sound like a good boy.
I hope that clears your doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor