Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Having lower abdominal discomfort. Noticed blood drop after urinating. What am I suffering from?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1415 Questions
Hi, my problem is the following: After I urinate, I noticed a drop of blood falls out. When I check it with a tissue, I see red spots in the spots. They're sometimes pink-ish, sometimes red. After about 3 minutes, it stops. This always happens about 2 minutes after I stop urinating. There's little to no pain when I urinate, though there is some discomfort in my pelvis/lower abdomen. I went to my doctor, and after an in-office urine test came up negative, he ordered a urine culture. At the follow up, I was told the test came up negative. He basically told me off by telling me to drink plenty of water and cranberry and stop exercising. I haven't exercised since this started a month ago. I don't know what to do. I don't know what this is, and it looks like my doctor wants nothing to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 21 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
You have what is called hematuria with clots.
The possibilities are
1. Stone in the ureter or bladder.
3. Rarely bladder tumour - though very unlikely at your age.
So the line of approach would be
1. Urine culture test and treatment with specific antibiotics if infection is confirmed.
2. Ultrasound or CT scan to look for stone in the urinary tract.
3. If all the above are negative, cystoscopy is recommended to look for any problem in the bladder like tumour.
Hope the discussion is useful.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having lower abdominal discomfort. Noticed blood drop after urinating. What am I suffering from? 5 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt reply. I already had a urine culture test, which came back negative. The doctor didn't prescribe any antibiotics or follow-up medicine, or gave me any options afterwards, which is very frustrating. Is there anything I could do to treat this or at least isolate any possible causes?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 45 minutes later
Welcome back.
It is unfortunate to hear about the issue being tackled the way it should not have been.
This reflects the overall health care facility at your place, unfortunately.
I would prescribe a course of antibiotics because all infections do not show up in the culture test.
Without doing an ultrasound test and a cystoscopy, we are left in the dark.
Sorry i am not able to help you more than this as you are in a different country.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having lower abdominal discomfort. Noticed blood drop after urinating. What am I suffering from? 20 minutes later
What are the odds that this could be an injury to the penis caused by a sudden stoppage of the flow of urine? I remember this happened to me the day it first started, after I stopped the urine flow suddenly due to a bout of diarrhea.

Could such a thing cause an injury or cut in the penis shaft? I'm uncircumcised, if that helps.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later
Welcome back.
The organs in the body are specially designed for a particular purpose and the penis withstands even a strenuous sexual intercourse.
So, what you have mentioned are extremely rare, which have not been heard of till now.
More than anything, please approach your doctor again or take ac consult from another urologist. Only this can help!
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having lower abdominal discomfort. Noticed blood drop after urinating. What am I suffering from? 1 hour later
I understand. Thank you for your assistance. Two final questions, If I may:

I feel a slight pain at the tip of my penis after I bleed. Could that be an indication that there is a local wound?

Also, My doctor prescribed Phenazopyridine 200mg tablets, but I never took them. Is there any sort of alternative medicine treatment that is possible for this? Something natural, herbal that could possibly help?

Thank You for your assistance, as it's been greatly appreciated, since I don't have insurance, and as you can already tell, my doctor is highly inefficient.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome back.
Unfortunately, such inefficient doctors do practice in your country too.
I know, we here, have a mix, but that is extremely unlikely there, i thought.
May be, the insurance issues could have caused your doc to think differently!
Local wound in the urine passage, of course except in the urinary opening- called meatitis is unheard of - there can be something called urethritis where there is inflammation in the urine passage, that is not seen with the naked eye or by cystoscopy. Meatitis can be seen with the naked eye but not urethritis.
Phenazo-pyridine called AZO in your place is classified under urinary analgesic and it is known to ease the pain.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor