Having loose motions, constipated and feeling giddy. Had a stool test. What is the treatment?

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am getting loose motions and constipation alternate days from almost 6 to 7 months. I feel tired all the and giddiness also.

Stool test report:
Color :Greenish
Consistency" Semi solid
Blood: Absent
Reaction/PH - Acidic
Occult blood - Absent
pus cells - 4-5/HPF
RBC Nil
Ova - not seen
Others - Non seen
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be H.pylori infection or Irritable Bowels.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

From the sketchy information provided, along with the stools' report, I feel this is an infection of the upper end of the intestine, in stomach/duodenum. Or, it can be a manifestation of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

if you have acidity and burps, gurgling abdominal sounds, then it can be due to a bacteria called H.Pylori. An endoscopy of the stomach/duodenum, along with analysis of a scrapping from the inner lining of the stomach will confirm the infection.

A 10-14 days' course of anti-H.pylori, following by 3 months of anti-acid drugs will cure you of the problems.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome is usually associated with mental stress, anxiety, depression and wide mood swings. For this, a long-term course of anti-anxiety drug + anti-depressant drug plus Probiotics will help.

Further, the third possibility could be an under-corrected hypothyroidism. Get your Thyroid hormone levels done. The target range of TSH is between 1-2. An increase in the dose of Thyronorm would be required if TSH is beyond 2.

Consult a gastroenterologist who knows what would be best for you.

hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to address to further clarifications, if any.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal