Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Having loose motions, constipated and feeling giddy. Had a stool test. What is the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
I am getting loose motions and constipation alternate days from almost 6 to 7 months. I feel tired all the and giddiness also.

Stool test report:
Color :Greenish
Consistency" Semi solid
Blood: Absent
Reaction/PH - Acidic
Occult blood - Absent
pus cells - 4-5/HPF
Ova - not seen
Others - Non seen
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be H.pylori infection or Irritable Bowels.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query.

From the sketchy information provided, along with the stools' report, I feel this is an infection of the upper end of the intestine, in stomach/duodenum. Or, it can be a manifestation of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

if you have acidity and burps, gurgling abdominal sounds, then it can be due to a bacteria called H.Pylori. An endoscopy of the stomach/duodenum, along with analysis of a scrapping from the inner lining of the stomach will confirm the infection.

A 10-14 days' course of anti-H.pylori, following by 3 months of anti-acid drugs will cure you of the problems.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome is usually associated with mental stress, anxiety, depression and wide mood swings. For this, a long-term course of anti-anxiety drug + anti-depressant drug plus Probiotics will help.

Further, the third possibility could be an under-corrected hypothyroidism. Get your Thyroid hormone levels done. The target range of TSH is between 1-2. An increase in the dose of Thyronorm would be required if TSH is beyond 2.

Consult a gastroenterologist who knows what would be best for you.

hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to address to further clarifications, if any.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor