Having large tonsils and feeling something stuck around tonsils. Suggest

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had large tonsils for a long time, but they never hurt. My right tonsil is larger than the other. I visited the ENT last month, and told him about my condition, and after he looked at it, he did not find anything serious or any exhibition of something serious. I have no sore throat, no fever, nothing anemic. But since yesterday, especially when I don't drink much water, I feel something like a fish bone stuck in my left, right around where the tonsil is. I also had a mild wisdom tooth infection last month, but it was on my left. There is no sign of any infection in any of my wisdom teeth, and I am taking them out during my vacations in India next month. I am visiting a dentist tomorrow, and a physician as well. I am also going to the ENT for another routine check-up for my tonsils.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hexidine mouthwash regularly Detailed Answer: Hello, just an increase in size of tonsils in not an indication for any intervention. You have had tonsils enlarged for long time but there were no associated symptoms. Just by the size, the indication for removal of tonsils is when these cause respiratory difficulty or foreign body sensation in throat. The other indications are mainly infective and any focus of infection in the vicinity (oral cavity) leads to more frequent or retained infection in the tonsillar crypts. You are having a foreign body sensation in throat, which can be because of slight increase in the size of an already big tonsil because of infection, or sometimes collection of debris in one of the tonsillar crypts. Please use regularly hexidine mouthwash and that will help in partially taking care of your tonsillar infection if any and tooth infection if any. Another thing, slight asymmetry in the size of two tonsils is normal but a significant asymmetry especially of recent onset needs a visit to ENT. My suggestion is, when you are visiting a dentist in vacations, do visit an ENT also and take opinion. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Prahlad Duggal 7 hours later
Thank you for your answer! Yes, I am using saltwater rinsing and cloves multiple times a day, and I don't have hexidine yet, so I am using a crest pro-health mouthwash. Does it make a significant difference? Also, the effect that I spoke of comes and goes; it is not persistent. And also, as far as I can remember, my right tonsil has always been a little larger than the left.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Does not make any difference Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back, You can use any regular mouth wash which has got antiseptic properties and usually it does not make any difference. Just make sure that last thing you do before going to bed is use of mouth wash and the effect last for longer periods when you are asleep. As I have already stated a recent onset significant difference in tonsillar size should be evaluated. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prahlad Duggal 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply! I visited the practitioner in my university, and told her my problem. She said she could not see any infection in my tonsils. However, she could see a whitish patch in the back of my throat towards my right, which is what is called post nasal drip. I have been given antihistamines for the weekend before my appointment with the ENT. Would that be okay?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Nasal decongestants, mucolytics, steam Detailed Answer: Hi, That you are having PND on right side supports that you are having a focus of infection in the sinus and needs to be investigated for that with xray PNS and CT PNS (if need be). Please take nasal decongestants and mucolytics and this helps in clearing the sinuses along with steam inhalation. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prahlad Duggal 15 minutes later
How major would the sinus infection be, if any? I have not had a runny nose, no coughing or sneezing, and I am breathing in and out without any discomfort. I have to admit that here in Florida, there are a lot white pollen grains flying, especially in the evening, when I have my classes.
Brief Answer: without CT will be a guess work Detailed Answer: Considering your description of symptoms, the problem should be unilateral (if it is there) and a smaller one but this can be just a guess with having a look at the CT scan. Anyway most of these can be handled endoscopically and is a comfortable procedure. Only thing is that you need to follow up with the operating surgeon for some time. Also as you do not give history of typical allergic symptoms, the chances of success will be more. Regards
Yes, indeed. The practitioner said, the PND is quite superficial. However, there is no harm in going to the ENT, and I am doing so this Monday. As I speak, the fish-bone feeling has decreased quite considerably.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Go ahead with your ENT appointment Detailed Answer: Hi, please go ahead with your appointment with ENT and in case he/she finds it necessary and advises some investigations, go ahead with those. Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Prahlad Duggal 4 hours later
Yes definitely. The fish bone feeling has almost completely subsided as I speak. The salt water rinsing I presume has taken effect. Do you suggest anything I need to do in the meanwhile?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Hi dear, just relax and things will be fine. Local rinses helps in clearing the area. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prahlad Duggal 42 hours later
Thank you sir! I went to the ENT today, and he said that although my tonsils were large, they were smooth and were alright, nothing to worry about. He checked for my lymph nodes and they seemed normal. He saw to PND; however, he saw some redness in my throat and he affirmed it to be GERD causing the fish bone feeling. He said it could also be causing the weird soreness around the jaw below the ear, given that my dentist told me the other day that the wisdom teeth showed no significant sign of redness and swelling. What do you recommend as a diet? I am having some antacid prescribed by the ENT for a few days.
Brief Answer: Avoid spicy, oily food, tea, coffee, alcohol Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Please follow the advice of your doctor there. As far as diet is concerned, you should avoid spicy and oily things, tea coffee to the minimum and alcohol to be avoided all together. You have to avoid taking NSAID pain killers as well. Not to take very large volume of food at a given time and do not lie down immediately after taking a meal. Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad