Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Having large lump under chin. Lump is solid and painful to touch. What should I do to get cured soon?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
hello doctor. I have a large lump under my chin where I released the fluid from an ingrown hair. I think I must have squeezed it too hard. The lump is solid and painful to touch but after 4 days has not gonedown. I have cleaned with TCP and used iodine for 3 days. Can you help me speed up healing
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 30 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX I note your problem is largely self inflicted. In this case, an oral antibiotic & anti-inflammatory agent are the order of the day in a dosage relevant to your body weight & taken after meals (the latter could be ibuprofen molecule to decrease the inflammation & reduce the swelling & may be obtained over the counter OTC). The former may require a doctor's precription. Dont worry the lump will resolve once the inflammation settles down. It is very possible 2-3 hair follicles have 'matted' together & you managed to pull just one out. This could have broken partially and others remained behind & caused the secondary bacterial infection. If this does not start showing signs of diminishing some 48hrs after an antibiotic/antiinflammatory course, then i suggest you visit a surgeon or dermatosurgeon & get the 'lump' excised.

Trust this information will have helped you & if so, do give us a shout & a healthy rating ;-)

cheers & good luck.

Dr XXXXXXX Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor