• question-icon

Having lack of sleep due to work and stress. How to overcome this?

Posted on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Iit may not be worth mentioning, but due to work & family, my partner does not have a regular sleep pattern; with less than 3 hours per night a few times per week with usually a solid 10 hours+ on one of the weekend days. Note this is not a new thing at all.
Also, he had been complaining of sore back for couple days beforehand. Today, an hour or so before the cramps returned, I lightly massaged his back.. The most tender part was left side where you can gip your fingers under ribcage (trapezius?)

He's had bursitis and a torn rotator cuff (both shoulders at various points in time) & so has very tender back and shoulder muscles that seem to have a positive correlation with lack of sleep.

Cheers.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 4 hours later
Hi
You have mentioned that your partner has lot of work.
Please help your partner and finish all the work by 10pm.
Ask your partner to do yoga and meditation.
Your partner will have good sleep.
Nothing to worry

Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 5 minutes later
My 28 year old partner (male) has just experienced for the 3rd time in as many days:
Severe upper abdominal pain (cramping)
Sweats (light/moderate) brought on by cramping pain
Unable to relieve pain other than to stand up as crouching over is worse.
His pain lasts for approx 15min. I gave him Neo (sodium bicarbonate and sodium carb) which instantly brought on huge burps.. Seemed to relief for 30 seconds.. Then cramps returned.
Stools are normal: no blood, not running, not sharp or dry, & normal gas.
In the past few weeks he appears to have been burrping a lot more than usual.
He has irregular sleep patterns: under 5 hours a night several times weekly - usually with a long "catchup" sleep at some stage on weekend.
The last couple of days he has complained of headaches. However during the most cent cramping episode I asked if he had any head pain, to which he rep,IRD, "No".
Any suggestions here- noting in particular that his bowel movements are normal?
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 hours later
Hi
Pain in upper abdomen is mostly due to acid peptic disease.
There will be severe pain in ulcer with cramps.
Please give him Rabeprazole with Domperidone capsules.
Ask him to stop alcohol,smoking,caffeine products,spicy foods if at he takes.
Stress to be reduced
Please investigate him with Upper GI endoscopy,Ultrasound abdomen.
Pain killers should not be used regularly
If you come back with above test results,I will clarify further.
Wish you good health
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon