Having kidney stone. Given medicines for uretha widen. Having low back pain. Smoke cigarette. Urine pale. Guide?

Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello. I am a 47 year old woman who experienced a kidney stone for the first time in my life. This occurred in January of this year. I was given medication to widen the uretha and passed the stone on my own. Now I have been having significant lower back pain, especially on my left side. I went to my family PA and was given muscle relaxers. These have not helped. I am 183 lbs and 5'4" and have smoked almost a pack of cigarettes per day for the last three years. I don't want to go back to the Urologist again because I am afraid he will tell me I'm diabetic (like my father was), or have something else significantly wrong going on. But, I know I need to. My urine is very pale but I do not see anything when I "catch" and examine my urine.
Thanks,
Scared and sad
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 53 minutes later
Dear patient

Thanks for your health concerns. The most common cause of back pain are musculoskeletal issues such as muscle strain, but other causes of back pain include as you mention kidney stones and also related to that urinary tract infectiins particularly pyelonephritis; it is probably indicated for you to see you practitioner again since the therapy prescribed has not worked thus alternative diagnoses may be contemplated.

I am sorry about your losses, stay strong. I can advise you though that the best think you can do for your health is quit smoking; you have 4 kids and a husband who need you as a role model and mom/partner.

My best wishes

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN