Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

180 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Having kidney stone. Given medicines for uretha widen. Having low back pain. Smoke cigarette. Urine pale. Guide?

Answered by
Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 1201 Questions

Posted on Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello. I am a 47 year old woman who experienced a kidney stone for the first time in my life. This occurred in January of this year. I was given medication to widen the uretha and passed the stone on my own. Now I have been having significant lower back pain, especially on my left side. I went to my family PA and was given muscle relaxers. These have not helped. I am 183 lbs and 5'4" and have smoked almost a pack of cigarettes per day for the last three years. I don't want to go back to the Urologist again because I am afraid he will tell me I'm diabetic (like my father was), or have something else significantly wrong going on. But, I know I need to. My urine is very pale but I do not see anything when I "catch" and examine my urine.
Scared and sad
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 53 minutes later
Dear patient

Thanks for your health concerns. The most common cause of back pain are musculoskeletal issues such as muscle strain, but other causes of back pain include as you mention kidney stones and also related to that urinary tract infectiins particularly pyelonephritis; it is probably indicated for you to see you practitioner again since the therapy prescribed has not worked thus alternative diagnoses may be contemplated.

I am sorry about your losses, stay strong. I can advise you though that the best think you can do for your health is quit smoking; you have 4 kids and a husband who need you as a role model and mom/partner.

My best wishes

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Renal stones

doctor1 MD

My daughter 17 years old and is presenting with severe kidney pain, nausea, fatigue and positive for haematuria however, CT scan has shown all clear and no kidney stones are present. Why else could there be blood in urine?She is a-febrile and doctor has done a urinalysis and said it is not a UTI although there is blood present.Thanks for your advice! Danielle

doctor1 MD

Hi, i am 18yrs old and have been using spasmo proxyvon for the past 3yrs after i suffered from kidney stone pain. But as this drug was a effective pain killer, i started using it during my periods. I take 2-3 tabs per month, but as it is banned i am unable to get it at any drug store. Kindly suggest me an alternative during period pain.
with regards!

doctor1 MD

Hi! I am Jun, 49 y.o., 5'3'', 160 lbs and had kidney stone treatment 20 years ago. My RBC reflected `too numerous to count' finding. I had urine culture, morphology and ultra sound tests performed. There is nothing painful I feel when urinating, no fever, etc. But I had five urinalysis already and was advised to drink lots of liquid but the condition `TNTC RBC' persists.

doctor1 MD

my college-aged daughter has a 5 mm kidney stone in her right kidney. They have worked her in to have it surgically removed (basket procedure) next week, and will have a stent for a week afterwards.She has a required field trip over that weekend and she doesn t want to have to endure that while having a stent (she had a stent for a month last semester and was miserable the entire time). She had a kidney infection the last week of January,the ultrasound they did then found this stone. She has had one short bout of pain/nausea since then (2-3 hours). She wants to wait until after the field trip to have the surgery. The next time available would be the week of March 21.Would it be dangerous to wait?

doctor1 MD

I have a recurring pain in my stmach right side a few inches above my hip, What can it be??

doctor1 MD

I've had a pain in my mid back, more towards the left. It feels like a muscle and sometimes is a burning pain that radiates to my stomach. What could this be?

doctor1 MD

My kidney stones do not bother me why would my doctor want me to get the shockwave procedure done .