Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Having joint pains due to increase in uric acid. How to get rid of this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 550 Questions
My uncle has joint pains due to increase in uric acids. These pains suddenly become acute. He has this problem from many years but some home remedies and pain killeers controlled the pain.
But this time the pain is unbearable. Please suggest some way out as in how do we go ahead with his treatment.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 31 minutes later

Thanks for using XXXXXXX

From your description it seems like he is suffering from gout.
Gout is a chronic arthritis, initially there are attacks of acute arthritis affecting one particular joint and if not treated properly it can start affecting multiple joints.

I suggest he should be put on a uric acid lowering therapy (allopurinol or febuxastat) and for the present pain he will need to be given anti inflammatory drugs for the attack to subside.

For this he will need to consult a rheumatologist who will be able to guide him regarding best treatment available.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having joint pains due to increase in uric acid. How to get rid of this? 29 minutes later
Dear Doc,

Can you suggest some medicine for the time being.
Now he is out of station and coming back home will take few days.
Also would request you to please suggest what type of foods he should avoid as of now.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 34 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

For the time being he may take Tab. Dolo (Paracetamol) 650mg or Tab. Brufen (Ibuprofen) 400mg daily twice to reduce the pain. But, he will need to be shifted onto a better analgesic after consulting a rheumatologist.

He can use ice on the affected joint to bring down the inflammation.
He should also start proper treatment to lower uric acid levels. For all these, please do consult a rheumatologist.

He needs to avoid sea food, red meat and alcohol especially beer. He should also take low fat food and especially limit the intake of calories.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor