Having itchy nipples and pimples on breasts. What should I do?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: My nipples have been very itchy. It started with my left breast and now it is both. In January of 2013 I had some pain in my left breast, I had a breast exam and she said everything seemed fine and gave me a pregnancy test just in case. Everything was fine and no pregnancy. The pain has not really come back. Every once in a while i might have a little twinge in my left breast but thats it. About a wk or two ago what looked like either an ingrown hair or pimple grew on my left breast close to my nipple. Its now only a red spot and never really hurt. What should i do? Should i be worried about breast cancer?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not suggestive of breast cancer. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The mild itching of the nipples or a red spot near the nipple due to a blocked gland are not worrisome findings. These are not suggestive of breast cancer. The symptoms are more likely to be due to eczema of nipples. Other possibilities include a reaction to a new material, an allergy to some detergent and the jog bra syndrome. The latter causes the nipples to dry and the whole itch-scratch cycle starts. The following measures will help: a. Only wear cotton innerwear b. You can apply Nipcare cream immediately over the area after cleansing it properly with warm water and savlon. c. Also use Benadryl syrup 2 tsp twice daily for 5 days to stop the itching. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.