Having itching all over but there is no sign of rash. Advise?

Dr. R.G. Joshi

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am itching all over but there is no sign of a rash
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 46 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for writing here.

Itching without skin lesions is a common problem of aging skin.

Most common cause for itching is senile xerosis.

Due to aging skin is unable to retain water. This causes dryness of skin and itching.

Avoid using harsh soaps.You can use some body wash for bathing. Use XXXXXXX warm water for bathing.Apply plenty of moisturizer like cetaphil immediately after bathing.This will allow retention of water.You can take antihistaminics like hydroxizine at night.

Some skin diseases like bullos pemphigoid can present with itching initially and rash appears at a later stage .You need to keep a close watch on it.

Itching in some cases can be associated with some systemic disorders like diabetes, kidney disorders, liver disorders, malignancies etc. Your doctor will help you to find out any XXXXXXX disease.

I hope this can solve your query. In case you have any concerns I will be happy to help you. Take care.

With regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj