Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Having irregular periods. Started heavy black clot discharge. Feeling lump in vagina. What is causing this?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions

I actually have a doc appointment in a few days so this is kind of just a question to see if I need to be worried about anything within the next few days. For the past week, maybe 2, I have been having blackish looking clot-like discharge coming out. At first, I thought it was just my cycle, because I'm irregular anyway so sometimes it comes out that way, but it never got heavier and it keeps coming... thicker but not more frequently or more as in "flow" wise. Here the past couple days... it feels like I have a lump inside, as if something needs to come out that I can't push out, on the right side ... but inside. Is this something so serious I need to have it checked before Friday, or can it wait til then? My appointment is Friday at 8:30a.m eastern standard time. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.

the possible causes for your symptoms are,

-cervical polyp: it is protrusion of mucous membrane with or without associated muscular tissue it can bleed because of slight friction or during intercourse etc,
endometrial tissue sometimes can protrude through cervix presenting as polyp, which can also bleed,

-cervical fibroid: it can also bleed sometimes like polyps,

these two also create a feeling like something coming out of cervix and inability to push,

-rarely cervical dysplasia etc can also present with spotting,

-hormonal imbalance: sometimes insufficient hormonal levels can cause spotting in between periods.

as you are having only spotting and going to visit your doctor in two days, you can wait till that time,
after visiting your doctor you can undergo physical examination and hormonal evaluation to detect the exact cause and depending on that treatment can be taken.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor