Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Having irregular periods. Scan showed slightly thickened endometrium and cyst in ovary. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12750 Questions
I am 44 years old. In June-July I had a period that lasted for about three weeks. I had blood work that was normal. Then in August and September I had no period, and then in October, I had another very long period, this time lasting three and a half weeks. I made an appointment with my OBGYN, who did not do a pap, as I was still menstruating. She ordered lots of blood work for hormone levels, and a pelvic and a transvaginal ultrasound to check for PCOS. I got the reports, but have not yet heard from my doctor. The results were as follows: "Transabdominal and transvaginal examinations were performed. The endometrium is homogeneous although it is thickened measuring 1.7 cm in bi-layer thickness. No focal fibroids are seen. Multiple small cervical nabothian cysts are present. There is a 2.8 cm cyst in the right ovary. Other normal-appearing follicles are seen in both ovaries. the ovaries do not have a polycystic ovarian appearance. There is no free fluid. IMPRESSION: Thickened endometrium. Cyst in the right ovary XXXXXXX

I am currently 12 days post menstruation. I am reasonably educated and understand this reading. My concern is that I did have a LEEP done in 1994, and I am nervous about the implications of a thickened endometrium given my history. The radiologist also mentioned a prominent uterus. Thank you for your time.
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The slightly thickened endometrium is usually due to a hormonal imbalance and is responsible for the excessive bleeding that you are having. A prominent uterus is the most common cause of menorrhagia or heavy bleeding in perimenopausal females. It is usually due to hormonal imbalance or adenomyosis.
There is nothing to be worried as it can be easily taken care of with the medicines or minor outpatient procedures like endometrial ablation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor