Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Having irregular periods. Scan showed bulky ovaries and started gaining weight. Proper treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 79 Questions
i am a 20 yr old girl having problem irregular menstruation.i had missed period for 5-6 months sometimes. twice i had extended bleeding for 4-5 months also.i hav consulted homeopathic doctor for the chnge
wen consulted gynae the ultrasound showed bulky ovaries periferally arranged focicles 5.8mm;male hormone little increased.
had gained weight because of it.
i had taken XXXXXXX 35 for 3 cycles
also had taken hyponidd and evecare for 5-6 months.
now i m taking bigomte sr 1000 and m2 tone.
no improvements.
missed last period for ab 5 months now.
very tensed
plz help as soon as possible
thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 1 hour later
The first thing that i must say to you is RELAX.
Yes, there is a problem with you. Its called PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome). But its not such a major or serious issue. This is the commonest diagnosis in our many patients with PCOS.
This is a hormonal problem involving an inter-play with several hormones - male type and female type hormones as well as thyroid and prolactin hormones. Its simply an imbalance.

Patients of PCOS generally have one or more of these symptoms : excessive weight --> problems in release of egg every month --> delayed periods --> difficuly in conceiving a baby if they are trying to --> male type of features like acne, oily skin, excessive facial and other hair growth --> overweight/obese --> and so on.
Did you notice the arrows that i put above? They mean that one symptom leads to the next and so on till it becomes a chain. More the obesity more is the problems in egg release and more is the delayed period etc.

So to solve this issue one must break the chain. Your doctor can help by 'attacking' the link of delayed period. If we make your period regular then that link falls away. Regularization of period can be done by 2 ways of which probably the better one is the use of what are known as Oral Contraceptive Pills. Don't be alarmed - we are not using them for contraception but for managing PCOS. Just as a tablet of Disprin can be used to treat a headache and used as a blood thinner in heart patients also, many medicines can be used for different conditions.
Learn from your local doctor the best way to take these pills.

The bigomet sr is probably metformin which helps in reversing one part of the hormone abnormality associated with blood sugar control.
i cannot comment on hyponidd and m2tone which are from ayurvedic medicines. In my opinion they by themselves cannot help.

Your periods will become regular with the Oral Pills.
You too must help in your own healing by losing weight. The bigomet sr will help but take care of your diet strictly and exercise.
With 2 links broken - the irregular period and the weight, the above chain can reverse. You may have to take these medicines for many years because they are not a cure but simply a replacement for the hormones which your system doesn't have.
A similar problem has been answered by me yesterday in a different way. You could try checking it out.
Take care and don't worry. Your problem is very common and not serious in the real way.
Dr Nirja Chawla
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having irregular periods. Scan showed bulky ovaries and started gaining weight. Proper treatment? 3 hours later
i agree to you that this is a common problem with many females.
but my problem is tht ai misse my perios for 5 months.
taing contraceptive can be a option but as i hav heard it affects our body in a bad way and also has a lot of side-effects..
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 1 hour later
Hello again XXXXXXX,
Whenever there is a gap of 3 months or more, we gynaecologists like to investigate the hormones by blood tests. This delay means that the egg release is not occuring during this period. Rarely it may be because of Premature Menopause, though unlikely in your case. In routine cases we personalize case to case since such tests are expensive. Your doctor will advise accordingly.

Your repeated concern about delay of 5 months - i hope that there is no possibility of pregnancy? If you have been sexually active, then do inform your doctor especially as you report heavy, 'extended' bleeding also.

Modern day contraceptive pills have a different side-effect profile from the older Pills. There are 2 hormones in Oral Contraceptive Pills - estrogen and progestins. The dose of estrogen is much lesser therefore modern pills are called Low Dose Pills and the progestin type is different. Both these changes make them very safe and can be taken for years together.
In fact, these pills provide protection against ovarian, uterine and colon cancers long after they have been stopped also.

There may be a slight increase of breast cancer but since the risk of breast cancer in young age group is less, the absolute risk of breast cancer is low. When compared to the benefits, the risk weighs lower. Further, any risk of breast cancer, even if there, lasts only as long as the patient is taking the pill.

One word of caution - the preparation that you mention has been approved in western countries only for severe acne and severe abnormal hair growth because there may be risk of liver damage. If required it should be taken not more than 6 months. Otherwise there are other safer Oral Pills preparations to choose from, which your doctor would be able to guide.
Hope this answers your queries.
Dr Nirja Chawla
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor