Owl Image

Having irregular period problem. Should I consult a gynecologist?

Owl Image
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Question
Should I go to another gynecologist for assistance.
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello
There are various causes for irregular periods, depending on the age. Common causes are stress, exercise, anxiety, sudden weight gain or loss, or hormonal medications.
Since none of these factors are present in your case, and also considering your age ( 43 years ) , your doctor is right, and the most probable cause is that you are nearing menopause.
It’s not unusual for women approaching the menopause to miss periods, as ovulation becomes less regular. The average age for the menopause is 50 to 55 years, however, occasionally, it does occur earlier, and before total menopause, the period does get delayed and scanty.
However, you need not worry about this, as long as certain other conditions are ruled out, particularly if your periods are heavy, though delayed. These are certain conditions like cervical polyps, uterine fibroids or thickening of the lining of uterus ( hyperplasia )
If your per vaginal and per speculum examination is normal, and also as you mentioned, ultrasounds of your pelvis and abdomen are normal - so essentially there is nothing to worry.
The blood tests must have been done to confirm the peri menopausal state.
For absolute confirmation, please request him and discuss about getting your LH and FSH hormones tested.
These, if elevated, will definitely point towards a peri menopausal state.
Also, you should go in for periodic gynecological check ups even if around menopause.
The backache could be because of calcium and vitamin D deficiency, which is common in this age group.
You could get your Serum Calcium and Vitamin D levels tested, and take supplements accordingly.
Feel free to ask for further clarifications.