Having iron burn on arm and scratched the burn. Should I cover it up?

Dr. Haseena Hamdani

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I suffered from a curling iron burn over the past weekend, and a friend of mine was about to fall back and grabbed the same area of my arm and scratched the burn, it is now an open wound. Should i cover it up? or leave it open to air?
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Just loosely cover with Sterile gauze . Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX You just make sure that it remains infection free and soothing. You can wash your wound with mild soap. Actually now it is not a wound to be treated like Curly iron burn. Your wound is due to pressure and pull ing force or scratching has removed superficial tender layers of skin. You may apply soothing antiseptic cream, and loosely cover with sterile gauze piece to prevent further trauma. At present it doesn't look infected. You may take pain killers like Brufen, which will relieve your pain and will reduce inflammation. Wish you speedy healing of wound. I do not think, you will need any further answer, but you are always welcome. It would be a smooth healing, without scar. Dr H Hamdani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D