Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Having inguinal hernia. Exercise regularly and no pain. Could I ask a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
I suspect I have an inguinal hernia on my right side. It pops out during daily activity. During the night, it generally goes back in.

I exercise pretty regularly, stretching, pushups, sit-ups or crunches, riding a bike or Nordic track.

There is no real pain, but some discomfort, probably best described as a "burning".

Can I continue to exercise, and how soon should I see a doctor?
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concerns here.

What you describe is the classical representation of reducible hernia.

Hernia is a condition that can be treated effectively by surgery alone. Surgery can be planned as per your convenience unless and emergency forces you take it up immediately. Irreducible hernia and obstructed hernia are two complication for an emergency surgery. In other words, we can delay hernia surgery untill an emergency arises.

Activities that increase abdominal pressure such as chronic constipation, chronic cough, sit-ups, and all abdominal exercises highers the chance of hernia complication. Therefore it is best to avoid those. If you choose to perform those exercise, I would recommend the use of abdominal belts for additional support. Your physical trainer will know about this belt. Discuss with them.

Stop exercise if you develop severe crampy abdominal pain and consult your doctor. This burning pain is less likely to be related. Try some over the counter antacids and see if the pain improves.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need complications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having inguinal hernia. Exercise regularly and no pain. Could I ask a doctor? 36 hours later
Thank you for your answer.

So I guess it is best to avoid abdominal exercise, and just concentrate on whatever I can do without straining my abs. When I mentioned burning, I meant a sensation in the muscle, not acid indigestion.

The belt you mentioned — do you mean what used to be called a truss?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 45 minutes later
You are welcome...

Yes, it would be also called as inguinal hernia truss. They provide addition enforcement over the abdominal wall and prevent hernia. You can try that if you are not using them yet.

We hear the pain being described as a dull ache or pulling type of pain from patients suffering from similar problem. But if the location of pain is over the hernia region, then I would not over rule hernia induced pain.
In such cases, if the pain is intense all you need to do is reduce the hernia by pushing into the abdominal cavity. You can take experts help or perhaps the help of YouTube videos to reduce hernia.

And yes, in all probabilities avoiding straining abdominal exercise would be the best method to prevent complication arising from this pre-existing condition.

I hope this helps. Feel free to write back if you need clarifications.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion and review.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor