Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Having indigestion, diarrhea, flatulence, acidity and stomach pain. Esophageal biopsy results states chronic duodenitis. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Critical Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 1663 Questions
I got my Endoscopy done, as i am having indigestion, diarehea, flatuence, acidity, pain in stomach last 1 month. My biopsy of Duodenal and esophagel biopsy resuls states : Chronic duodenitis, No evidence of MAS/ITMS. and for Esophaegus-Gastro-esophageal tissues, hyperplastic polyp stomach, no adenomatous features/atypia seen. What does all this mean? .in my endoscopy h-Pylori test (Rapid Urease Test) is positive. what is the problem, is it Stomach Ulcer? or what? anything to be alarmed of? i am having abodimnal pain and flatuence , very much gas.

Hi i have not yet received a response to my health query, kindly send to me. How will i know when the reply is sent? meanwhile, i am having sever pain in the upper abdominal region, just below the rib cage ends, also having lot of gas(flatuence) in the evening daily..please advise me, i wish to know what is chronic deuodinits means and what is the reason, and what should i be doing to heal it faster. Waiting for your early reply. Thanks & regards. XXXXX
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 14 hours later
Hello XXXXX.
Thanks for writing to us.
You want us to explain;
No 1. What does chronic duodenitis means?
No 2. What is hyperplastic polyp stomach?
No 3. What does No adenomatous features/atypia means?
No 4.What is meant by positive H Pylori test?
No 5 .Cause for abdominal pain, flatulence and gas.
I am explaining your queries one by one;
Chronic duodenitis means long standing infection of the duodenum.

Hyperplastic polyp.This type of polyps are formed due to infection and as explained further in biopsy report this is not adenomatous which means it doesn't have potential to become malignant (cancer).

Atypia means no abnormal cell seen.

Rapid urease test is done to diagnose infection of the stomach by a bacteria called H Pylori. Previously this test was called H pylori test or CLo test.This test is positive which means you stomach is infected with this bacteria and this is responsible for hyperplastic polyp,chronic duodenitis .Pain abdomen ,flatulence and gases are due to this infection.

The medicine you are taking are right.

Consult your treating physician who may put on treatment for eradication of H Pylori infection.

Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.
Take care
Dr Sadiq.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having indigestion, diarrhea, flatulence, acidity and stomach pain. Esophageal biopsy results states chronic duodenitis. Suggestions? 1 hour later
Thankyou Dr. XXXXXXX for the detailed answer to my queries.

One more query i had, is what would be the treatment for eradication of H-Pylori infection. as the Doctor has not advised any more medicine, he has seen all the reports though.

further, as i am patient of Renal Tubular Acidosis (RTA), Distal Type-I, since birth, does any of the medicine will affect the kidney problem, or the bacteria H-pylori can infect other organs too?
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 52 minutes later
Hello XXXXX.
Thanks for your follow up.

The drugs prescribed to you are not meant for eradication of H pylori infection. There few regimens for eradication of the H Pylori infection. Every regimens involve combination two antibiotics, usually amoxicillin and clarithromycin or tindazole, a proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole and Bismuth. You can take combination amoxicillin,clathramycin , pantoprazole and Bismuth as these drugs are safe for patient of RTA.

The combination is also available in the market by the name of H P kit.
No this bacteria does not involve the kidneys.
Re consult your treating physician he/she will put you on one of the safe regimens for eradication of H pylori infection.
Hope this answers your question,
If you don't have any more queries you can close the discussion.
Take care.
Dr Sadiq
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor