Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Having increased heart rate and shortness of breath. Could this be pots or an electrical issue?

Sep 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6271 Questions
25 yr old daughter, started having increased heart rate about 100 to 130 resting upon standing it might go up to 170. Has shortness of breath. Given inhalers from pulmnologist but no testing. Did ok for about a month but was fatigued and still short of breath. Went to ER with hr over 200 and was admitted. Awaiting monitor and tilt table test. Bp doesn't seem to be to be low. Inhalers didn't always help. Could this be pots or an electrical issue. Does have mild mvp. Feel like we left hose questions than answers. She also has body odor excessive arm pit sweating. Hr can be 130 then suddenlyn170 then quickly back to 99 , varies on body movement
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tachycardia & asthma.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXX,
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.
If I were the treating doctor of this severe case of heart beat ,I would come up with these possibilities, these includes.
1 Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia , may be due to acute asthma, coronary Artery Disease , pulmonary embolism, THYROTOXICOSIS ,digitalis induced . Diagnosis can be confirmed by E C HO , treadmill test , tilt table test ( you mentioned ).In this condition even change of position increase the heart rate.
Heart rate is between 140-240 / minute & REGULAR . It starts and ceases abruptly.
2 Paroxysmal Ventricular Tachycardia is defined as the occurennce of 3 or more ventricular paroxysmal beats at a rate of more than 100 beats / minute.
Diagnosis can be confirmed by ekg , echo .
3 Cardiac asthma , diagnosis can be confirmed by physical as well as clinical examination .
4 Congenital heart disease , rule out with physical examination by a cardiologist.
In my opinion consult a cardiologist and get his opinion. If further any question I will reply. Good luck. Dr. HET.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor