Having high fever, rashes all over the body, low potassium and acid reflex. What could be the cause?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My sister is in the hospital and the doctors can't figure out what is wrong. She has a very high fever, rash all over her body, low potassium and acid reflex that is going crazy. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Generalized skin rash ; erythroderma Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding the skin problem and I hope to help you in the same. Now from the description that you have provided, it looks like your sister has developed erythroderma. Now this is a skin condition in which there highgrade fever along with a generalized skin rash. In this condition, there can also be other associated abnormalities like electrolyte disturbances in body of sodium and potassium. Also there can be disturbances in liver parameters and other systems. The most important cause of such a presentation is a drug reaction. I would like to know if she was on any drugs prior to the onset of the rash. Antibiotics and painkillers are the most important culprit. Also does she have any oral or genital lesions? Did she have any skin problem earlier before the onset of this skin rash? Now the mainstay of treatment is stopping the offender drug and giving oral steroids. For confirmation of diagnosis, it would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the exact skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also mail then at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. I am sure I will be able to help you more once you follow up with the pictures. Waiting for your response Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 26 minutes later
They also thought that they see a spot on her liver. Could this just be a secondary problem not related?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Erythroderma skin due to liver disease Detailed Answer: Hi, See there can be two things. One that your sister probably has some, yet undiagnosed liver problem which is causing the skin rash. The second thing is that she is having skin erythroderma which is further causing involvement of the other body systems as well including the liver. Now for this, a thorough systemic examination is required. We need to find out what the liver lesion is. But in any case, I can assure you that with proper management the skin rash will go. It is just reflection of the body disorders. Once the main problem goes, the skin rash will slowly heal. In the mean time, you can use some good moisturizers or oils over the body. This helps in keeping the skin hydrated and prevents heat and water loss from the skin. Hope it helps, Dr Geetika Paul.