Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Having high fever at night and low fever in morning. Is this a bad sinus infection?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I began feeling bad two days ago. Last night I checked my temp and it was 101.3. By 1am it went up to 103.1. This morning when I woke up it was 99.8. Seems like it's all over the place. I do think this is a bad sinus infection. Should I seek medical help today
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you have one episode of fever of 103.1 and bad feeling for 2 days. It may occur from infections. Now, the area of infection should be searched for. That means, if you have any respiratory abnormality like sneezing, coughing, breathing problem, then most probably you have infection in respiratory tract. If you have any symptoms like headache which is increasing during bending forward then most probably, you have a sinus infection.

For a confirmed diagnosis of the situation, you have to consult with a general physician or ENT specialist for a detailed clinical examination. If required a complete blood count should be done to look for increased WBC count. If no abnormality seen in respiratory tract then you have to do a routine urine examination for search of source of infection.

But, now, you have to take a paracetamol group of drug to lower the fever. If clinically it is found to be an infection, then broad spectrum antibiotics should be considered.

So, first of all, just consult with a general physician or ENT specialist for clinical examination. You need it.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor