Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Having high blood pressure. Family history of heart attack. Taking proper diet. Suggest some cure

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
Hello Doctor,
My Age is 40 & Height 163 cm & weight is 67KG. Last 3-4 years I've annual medical checkup & doesn't observe anything abnormal. This week twice I check my BP its around 170/120. I do exercise 3-4 days in a week like cardio & weight. My diet is veg & minimal ie 7 small meals a day (last meal at 1930 Hrs). Generally I sleep around 2300 Hrs & wake-up at 0630. I've a family history of heart attack so what would you suggest for me.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 7 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified cardiologist and read your question with diligence.
I assure you that you are having high blood pressure. It usually does not cause symptoms. Amlidopine is a safe drug, in some cases can cause pedal edema. If it is not being liked by you. Discuss with your doctor and get prescription for Telmisartan 40 mg once a day. If symptoms abate we can be sure that drug was responsible. One thing more, I was reading about your family history this is right age when you should complete the list of risk factors for coronary artery heart disease profile.
At any age, following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying ('*' means you have the risk factor, '+/-' means I do not know and about others you know better):-
Diabetes +/- (Get Fasting Blood Sugar, HBA1C and Lipid Profile done)
Stress* (Stress in action is hypertension, mental tension to hypertension)
Obesity and Sedentary Life Style+/-
High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component +/-
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%, Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component: +/-
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab and HDL below 40 mg% for man & and 50 mg% for woman
Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease*
Increasing age*
Being a Man (as opposed to women who are protected) till the age 45*

From the list, above you have some modifiable risk factors and almost all non modifiable risk factors. Therefore, in addition to hypertension and stress you have to complete the risk factor profile and bring it down. Diet, Drugs and Exercise will go long way to reduce your risk.

It is fair to assume that you are overweight because that is single most important contributor to hypertension. It is never too late to change. With your weight everything you do will have to be under supervision. It need not be cardiologist but your primary doctor can guide your way back to health - I am happy to read about your dietary habits but I do not know your height and weight. You may need drugs for hypertension and he/she (or ask the dietitian) to advise you about diet low in calories and cholesterol, advise you on quantum of exercise. You ought to keep your weight under control for you do not want other attack. If you like non vegetarian you cannot take red meat but there is no bar (in taking certainly quantity had to be less) on egg white, roasted chicken and roasted fish.

If you have any further query please ask I shall be happy to reply asap. Do write about your risk factor profile.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor