Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Having high APL level. Can birth control pills cause an elevation in ALP level?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1662 Questions
Happy Sunday. My 23 year old daughter has alkaline phosphotase level of 626. Could taking birth control pills cause an elevation of ALP levels? Look forward to your response.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
It is not reported, to the best of my knowledge.

However, this elevation of alkaline phosphatase merits evaluation. There can be many potential reasons for this, some not worrisome but others are of concern.

So it is important to get to the bottom of this.

For example, it could be from vitamin D deficiency, liver conditions or bone problems to name a few. There is a systematic way to approach this through thorough clinical assessment (ie history and physical examination by a doctor) along with lab tests like
CMP (which includes liver function tests)
5' nucleotidase
25 hydroxy vitamin D levels
Intact PTH
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor