• question-icon

    Having herpes and taken antiviral drugs. Having continuous itching and no relief. Taking medication. Advise?

Posted on Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have herpes and have tried most of the antiviral drugs. Currently I have an out break even though my doctor put me on preventative measure medication of famiciclovir 250mg twice daily. In the current outbreak I am having my doctor prescribed 4 x 250mg famciclovir tab then 12 hours later another dosage. Unfortunately this is not working and I am one of the unfortunates that don't get festy sores but do suffer from continual itch with no relief, glands in armpits sore and general lethargy not a good quality of life. Recently I was given Get rid of herpes receipe it goes like this cut anything made from white flour. step 2 - h202 method use only 35% food grade - drink hydrogen peroxide solution one hour before or 3 hours after a meal. Put the peroxide into distilled spring water milk vegetable/fruit juice. DO NOT USE CHLORINATED WATER. Takes 31 days. method day 1.... 3 drops in 300ml of chosen liquid 3 times daily. Each day you increase the drops by 1 until you get to day 16.....25 drops in 300ml (or more liquid) 3 times daily then you start to decrease the drops of peroxide by 1 drop until you get to day 31 which should see you taking 3 drops in 300ml of liquid 3 times daily. It states at this stage you should then continue on the regime for a further 30 days. It does state organ transplant patients should not attempt and also if you are taking medication to see your doctor. Well I did see my doctor with the print out of instructions at which he made no attempt to read and then told me he wouldn't try this method but that he would be happy to take the current medication long term. Problem is it's not really working and costs. Also I use Xylocaine 5% and emla 5% to help with numbing the itch none of which work but are extremely expensive. So my question is would you try this get.rid of herpes receipe and more important.. would the dosages kill me????? as I know if taken undiluted it could. What is most annoying is that I have only slept with my husbands first was a cheat whom I think I may have gotten herpes from or my current husband is a carrier at which my doctor does not think he should be tested as he said a high percentage of population carry the virus. Wanting a doctor to be willing to step out of their comfort zone and please advise.
Answered by Dr. David Okia 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would not advice you to use get rid of herpes

Detailed Answer:
You most likely have resistant or chronic herpes infection.

Based on my experience I would not recommend you to use 'get rid of herpes' because I have an alternative that has worked well with my patients who have similar complains like you. Drug is Foscarnet(PFA) given intravenous for 10 days.

But before I start using this drug,
- I usually first confirm if my patient has resistant herpes - based on history and laboratory testing of herpes virus with drugs the patient has already used to confirm resistance.
- Second step is evaluate my patients for all conditions that depress immunity like chronic infections like diabetes, hypertension and HIV and anemia plus your nutritional status. In your case I would test the husband too for infections like herpes, HIV, so that both of you can be treated where need be. If these chronic infections are absent.
I then prescribe intravenous Foscarnet PFA for 10 days and my patients have always had marked improvement. While taking this drug I monitor renal function tests.

I do not recommend get rid of herpes recipe that you described because there are no scientific data available to prove that it works; more importantly the side effects are unknown.

Be positive and do not try that recipe...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. David Okia 13 hours later
thank you very much I will speak to my doctor again and discuss your advise with him.
could you please tell me if there is a absolute test that will prove my current husband is a carrier as he has had cold sores on his lips before so wont he have antibodies in his system? How can the medical profession distinguish between the two virus herpies 1 or 2 in a persons body?
Also can you tell me if there is hope say if your recommended treatment doesn't work? where to from there? I know I sound like im putting cart before horse but I just want to be informed.
I have had vaginal problems in past, doctors telling me that it would be unlikely for me to fall pregnant as I didn't ovulate on regular basis ect ect only to fall pregnant with current husband ( we have been together for 17 years). also I was tested and was told I was peri menopausal at the age of 27. my children are 12 and 16. I only discuss the above to share my apprehension with the medical profession and to let you know I HATE BEING AN EXPERIMENT AT MY COST.
I am very appreciative of any further advice you can provide. I have started a diet high in lysine and will restrict caffeine sugar and not eat any white flour product. I will continue to exercise.
Thankyou once again for your assistance and advice it is appreciated.
Answered by Dr. David Okia 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PCR polymerase chain reaction

Detailed Answer:
thanks for follow up question.
PCR can be done for your husband.
Herpes type one usually affects oral cavity and type 2 affects genital area vagina, penis.
The recommended treatment I have given you always works unless you have underlying infections which are not detected like HIV, that may need additional medications like ARV.
For other question I refer you to gynecologist. Hope I answered your questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Answered by
Dr. David Okia

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 301 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Antiviral

doctor1 MD

Hello, My husband is on the Hep C regime including the following: Telaprevir, Ribavirin and Interferon. He is also on other meds for BP, Diabetis...

doctor1 MD

Respected Sir I am from West Bengal, male 54 yrs age.If you kindly go thro. my following problems & give advice then it will be very helpful for me...

doctor1 MD

About 6 days ago I had my first GH outbreak. I have been taking valtrex, but I am experiencing extreme pain in my anus. I don t know if my outbreak...

doctor1 MD

I am having Central Nervous System side effects after taking 500mg of valacyclovir hydrochloride for 60 days. I have stopped taking 72 hours ago....

doctor1 MD

some red pimple or allargy grown out side of penis doctor refer to use me to use Imiquimod cream . i want to know cause & remedy . i visited to...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am following up on some advice from an online doctor on another service (which site seems to be down right now) 2 days ago. The original...

doctor1 MD

I am fem. 34 years. I had been having my lips rashes and pain from long time. I applied tenovate m to some degree of relief. however it occurs...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

164 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. David Okia
  • Q - Does Avelox treat acute appendicitis?

  • Q - Have pinch nerve in shoulder. Can I use Bentelan pills to relieve pain?

  • Q - Taking aygestin and having panic attacks, agitation, sweating, insomnia....

  • Q - Doing work out consistently. Having lower back, heel hurts and having...

  • Q - Suffering from depression, anxiety and abdominal pain under ribcage. Had...

  • Q - Have pimple like bump in the back of mouth that comes and goes, does not...

  • Q - Is medical marijuana a possible solution for itching associated with...

  • Q - Take Labetalol and hydrochloride for high BP. Suggest?

  • Q - Having bad abdominal pain after taking Capoten. Suggest?

  • Q - Have been dx with congestive heart failure. On furosemide. Have severe...