Having heavy periods than normal. Planning to conceive. Had ectopic pregnancy before. What to do?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hello, I'm very concerned. I had my period at the beginning of the month as always which lasted 4 days and always the same "amount" so to speak. Over 7 days ago it started again. There is no cramping like there usually is, it's way heavier than normal,a brighter red, and laying very long for me. I'm no more stressed than usually and my weight is the same. My husband and I have beentrying to conceive for quite some time. 4 years ago I had and ectopic and since I just don't think I can convince, I only mention that because I didn't think it could be a miscarriage. What's going on?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

As you excluded the pregnancy and miscarriage the other possible causes for your problem are:
-Polymenorrhea, means decreased length of the menstrual cycle. May be this time you got your period early.
-Metrorrhagia, it is inter-menstrual bleeding.
Both the above conditions can occur due to hormonal imbalance. Sometimes structural causes like polyps, fibroids etc also can contribute to these.
-Thyroid abnormalities can also lead to irregular bleeding.

So you once consult gynecologist and get examined to rule out any local or structural causes.
Then you observe the next cycle. If that comes on expected date with normal flow, no need to worry.
If the irregularity repeats, better to get evaluated by ultrasound and hormonal profile to find out the cause and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.