Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Having heavy period with cramps. Any solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12760 Questions
My period is barely coming and when it does I flood (BEYOND HEAVY) but I miss months and months of not having it and sometimes I cramp really bad and barely bleed at all. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Not having any periods for many months followed by a heavy bleeding during periods is likely to be due to polycystic ovarian disease.
In this disease, there is a hormonal disturbance which causes ovarian troubles and hence menstrual disturbance, high chance of diabetes, gaining weight, infertility as well.

Your sister needs to get an Ultrasound of her ovaries and other pelvic organs. In PCOD there will be few or multiple follicular cysts seen. Also hormonal tests of FSH, LH, Estrogen, Progesterone, Androstenedione, Thyroid hormones will be needed.

Once confirmed as PCOD, the treatment is mainly medical treatment with Oral contraceptive pills for some time till the menstrual cycles become regular. But most important is exercising to lose weight and becoming fit. If exercise is not done then the hormonal imbalance will still be there. Proper diet consisting of low carbohydrates, low fat diet with plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables is also needed.
Drink plenty of water. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes. Avoid junk food, pastries, colas.
Kindly consult a leading Gynecologist and get yourself examined completely and also get the tests done as mentioned above. Once diagnosis is confirmed by ultrasound and hormones tests, the treatment can begin.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor